Author: Sarwar Nawzad Jahfar
Department of Biology, College of Education, University of Salahaddin
Author: Nadir Mustafa Qadir Nanakali
Department of Biology, College of Education, University of Salahaddin, cihan Univerity-Erbil
Diabetes mellitus is a group of metabolic diseases characterized by hyperglycemia resulting from defects in either insulin secretion or insulin action, or both. The chronic hyperglycemia in diabetes is associated with long-term damage, dysfunction, and failure of various organs, especially the eyes, kidneys, nerves, heart, and blood vessels. This study was carried out from the period of December 2010 to June 2011. Fasting blood samples were obtained from one hundred fifty-two diabetic patients (59 males and 93 females) of type 2 and 50 apparently clinically healthy individuals were selected as a normal group (29 males and 21 females).
The results showed that the mean HbA1c percentage were significantly higher in diabetic patients (9.18%) than normal group percentage (5.57%). Results showed that mean serum Superoxide dismutase activity in diabetic (0.202) IU/L was significantly higher than normal (0.123) IU/L groups. While mean serum glutathione levels (37.726) µmol/L was significantly lower in diabetic patients, than in normal group (42.931) µmol/L. beyond that mean vitamin E (9.9) µmol/L was significantly lower in diabetic patients, than normal group (15.6) µmol/L. The results revealed high level were of serum MDA (1.60) µmol/L in diabetic patients compared to in normal group (1.27) µmol/L. we concluded that diabetes mellitus affects negatively the level of lipid profile and antioxidants vitamin E and Glutathione while lead to increased Malondialdehyde, patients of diabetes mellitus have high HbA1c Values.
Keywords: HbA1c, Antioxidants, Diabetes.
- Abraham, E. C. ; Huff, T. A. ; Cope, N. D. ; Wilson, J. B.; Bransome, E. D., and Huisman, T. H. (1978). Determinations of the glycosylated hemoglobins (HbA1) with a new micro-column procedure. Diabetes, 27(9):931–937
- Al- Zamely, O.M., Al-Nimer, M.S., Muslish, R.K. (2001) Detection the level of peroxynitrite and related with antioxidant status in the serum of patient with acute myocardial infarction. Nat. J. Chem. 4: 625-637.
- Aydin, A.; Orhan, H.; Sayal, A.; Ozata, M.; Sahin, G., and Işimer, A. (2001). Oxidative stress and nitric oxide related parameters in type II diabetes mellitus: effects of glycemic control. Clin. Biochem. 34(1), 65-70.
- Bonnefont-rousselot, J.P.; Bastard, M.C.; Jaudon, J. and Delattre. (2000). Consequences of the diabetic status on the oxidant/antioxidant balance. Diabetes Metab. (Paris). 26, 163-176
- Brown, M. S., & Goldstein, J. L. (1983). Lipoprotein metabolism in the macrophage: implications for cholesterol deposition in atherosclerosis. Annual Review of Biochemistry, 52, 223-261
- Cadenas, E., and Packer, L. (2002). Handbook of antioxidants. New York: M. Dekker
- Chugh, S. N.; Dhawan, R.; Kishore, K.; Sharma, A. and Chugh, K. (2001). Glibenclamide vs. gliclazide in reducing oxidative stress in patients of noninsulin dependent diabetes mellitus-a double blind randomized study. J. Assoc. Physicians. India. 49: 803-807
- Erkelens, D. W. (1998) Diabetic dyslipidaemia. Eur. Heart J. 19 Suppl. H: H27-40.
- International Diabetes Federation. IDF Diabetes Atlas, 3rdBrussels, Belgium: International Diabetes Federation, 2007.72-74
- International Diabetes Federation. IDF Diabetes Atlas, 5thBrussels, Belgium: International Diabetes Federation, 2011.
- Johansen, J. S.; Harris, A. K.; Rychly, D. J., and Ergul, A. (2005). Oxidative stress and the use of antioxidants in diabetes: Linking basic science to clinical practice. Cardiovascular Diabetology. 4(1), 5.
- Kharb, S.; Singh, V.; Ghalaut, P. S.; Sharma, A., and Singh, G. P. (2000). Glutathione levels in health and sickness. Indian J. Med. Sci., 54(2), 52-54
- Manjunatha Goud, B.K.; Sarsina, O.D.; Nayal, B.; Shivashanker, S.; Sathisha, T.G. and Devaki, R. (2011) Relation of Calculated HbA1c with Fasting Plasma Glucose and Duration of Diabetes. Int. J. Appl. Biol. Pharm. Technol. 2(2):58-61
- Maritim, A. C.; Sanders, R. A. and Watkins, J. B. (2003). Diabetes, Oxidative Stress, and Antioxidants: A Review. J. biochem. Mol. Toxico., 17.1: 1-14
- Martínez-sánchez, G.; Popov, I.; Horwat-delaporte, R.; Giuliani, A., León-fernández, O. S. and Pérez- davison, G. (2005). Contribution to characterization of oxidative stress in diabetic patients with macroangiopatic complications. Acta farm. Bonaerense, 24 (2), 197-203.
- Meister Jorge, P. A.; Almeida, E. A.; Ozaki, M. R.; Jorge, M., and Carneiro, A. (2005). Effects of atorvastatin, fluvastatin, pravastatin, and simvastatin on endothelial function, lipid peroxidation, and aortic atherosclerosis in hypercholesterolemic rabbits. Arquivos Brasileiros de Cardiologia, 84(4), 314-319.
- Meister, A. (1991) Experimental glutathione deficiency and its reversal. In New Trends in Biological Chemistry, T. Ozawa (ed.). Japan Sci. Soc. Press, Tokyo, pp. 69–79
- Nathan, D. M. (1993). Long-term complications of diabetes mellitus Engl. J. Med., 328(23), 1676-1685
- Qadir, S. (2010) Kurdistan, the diabetes is in increasing rate. Rudawnet Kurdish. (http://rudaw.net/kurdish/index.php/news/3367.html)
- Reddy, E.P., Suchitra, M.M., Bitla A.R., Sivakumar V. and Rao, P.S. (2011) Antioxidant Enzymes status in South Indian Hemodialysis patients. Int. J. Biol. Med. Res. 2011; 2(3): 682-687
- Shakila, B. (2010) Effect of Tannery Effluent on Water and Soil Profile, Plant Growth and Human Health.( Doctoral dissertation). Retrieved from http://shodhganga.inflibnet.ac.in/handle/10603/1616.
- Sundaram, R. K.; Bhaskar, A.; Vijayalingam, S.; Viswanathan, M.; Mohan, R., and Shanmugasundaram, K. R. (1996). Antioxidant status and lipid peroxidation in type II diabetes mellitus with and without complications. Clin. Sci. 90(4), 255-260.
- Suryawanshi, N.P.; Bhutey A.K.; Nagdeote A.N.; Jadhav, A.A. and G.S. Manoorkar (2006). Study of lipid peroxide and lipid profile in diabetes mellitus. Indian J. Clin. Biochem. 21: 126.
- West, I.C., Radicals and oxidative stress in diabetes. Diabetic Med., 2000, 17, 171–180.
- Yanagawa, K.; Takeda, H.; Egashira, T.; Matsumiya, T.; Shibuya, T., and Takasaki, M. (2001). Changes in antioxidative mechanisms in elderly patients with non-insulin-dependent diabetes mellitus. Investigation of the redox dynamics of alpha-tocopherol in erythrocyte membranes. Gerontologia (Basel).47(3):150-157.