Author: Galawezh Obaid Othman
Department of Biology, college of Education, University of Salahaddin –Erbil
To study and know the type and Frequency of congenital abnormality, the prospective study is started for fetus which born in birth hospital in Hawler city, also we study the sex of baby, mother age, location and mother and babies blood group the following results were concluded: In case of type of congenital abnormalities the highest percentage in case of hydrocephalus it’s about 22%, and in case of gender it’s clear that most congenital abnormalities in female about 52% and male about 46%, while in the case of age the highest congenital abnormality born is between 25 to 35 years. And in the case of baby blood group the most congenital abnormality in O- which is the highest percentage about 32%.
Keywords: component; congenital abnormalities, Hawlerl, Iraq
- Morb Mort W. (2006) Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC).Improved National Prevalence Estimates for 18 Selected Major Birth Defects — United States, 1999–2001. 54:1301–5.
- Harper PS.( 1998) Practical Genetic Counseling, 5th Edition. Boston: Butterworth Heinemann, 11, 56-70.
- Wen SW, Liu S, Marcoux S. and Fowler D. (1997) Uses and limitations of routine hospital admission/separation records for perinatal surveillance. Chron Dis Can; 18: 113-9.
- Stevenson RE, Hall JG and Stevenson G. (1993) The Genetic Basis of Human Anomalies. In: RM Human Malformations and Related Anomalies. Vol. 1. New York: Oxford University Press, 115.
- Nelson K and Holmes LB. (1984) Malformations due to presumed spontaneous mutations in newborn infants. N Eng J Med; 320: 19-23.
- O’Rahilly R and Muller F.( 1996) Teratology. In: Human Embryology and Teratology, 2nd Edition. Toronto: Wiley-Liss Publications,: 110.
- Malla, B.K.( 2007) One year review study of congenital anatomical malformation at birth in Maternity Hospital (Prasutigriha), Thapathali, Kathmandu Kathmandu University Medical Journal (Vol. 5, No. 4, Issue 20, 557-560
- Ali A, Shafikhani Z .and Abdulahi M.( 2008) Congenital malformations among live births at Arvand Hospital Ahwaz , Iran – A Prospective study . Pak J Med Sci: 24; 33-37.
- Hudgins L, Cassidy S(2006) Congenital anomalies. In Martin RJ, Fanroff AA, Walsh MC (eds). Neonatal –Perinatal Medicine. 8th (edn), Philadelphia, Mosby- Elsivier..pp.561-81.
- Hennekens C.H. and Buring J.(1987) Epidemiology in Medicine .Statistical Association. In: Mayrent SL (Ed.),. Toronto: Little, Brown and Company,: 39-51.
- Niswander,K.R,and Evan,A.J(.1991)manual of obstetrics boston. newyork Toronto London 5th ed.
- Friedman,J..M. and polifka ,J.E( 1994)Teratogenic effects of Baltimore, MD: johns Hopkins University press.
- Sue (2000)(preventable causes of congenital abnormality)(internet)
- R. D. And Stoller .A. (2008) Relation of Congenital Anomalies of the Central Nervous System to the Blood Group of the Mother, Article first published online: 28 JUN,Volume 2, Issue 1, pages 38–40.
- Mosayeb,Z. and Movahedian A.H.(2007). Pattern of Congenital Anomalies of consanguineous versus non consngenious.EMHJ.Vol13.