Authors: Galawezh Obaid Othman,Nadhum jalal esmaeil
Department of Biology, college of Education,University of Salahaddin –Erbil
The aim of our study was to detect the preventive effect of both vitamin C (Ascorbic acid) and vitamin E (α- tocopherol) on the sperm abnormalities in laboratory albino mice Mus musculus nicotine was administrated using three concentrations (10,20 ad 30 µg/ mouse) through four doses daily (from 7:00 am to 7:00 pm) and for three different periods (15,30 and 45 days) while vitamin C & E were administrated half hour before and after nicotine administration with dose (100 ug/ mouse & 0.6 I.U/mouse) respectively The following results were observed ability of nicotine to increase all types of qualitative sperm abnormalities in male mice significantly (sperm without tail, sperm without head, swollen head sperm, defective head sperm, defective hook sperm,& hook sperm) significantly at (P< 0.01), Testing the effects of vitamin C on nicotine which showed a strong antagonized effect on nicotine while vitamin (E) did not show a significant effect.
Keywords: component; Nicotine effect, sperm abnormalities, and antioxidant.
- Zavos,P.M; Correa,J.R; Karagounis, C.S; Apharaki, A.; Phoroglon,C. Hicks, GI. And Zarma Konpi. An election microscope study of the exonemal ultra structure in human spermatozoa from male smokers an non-smokers. Fert. And Ster, 1998, 69(3): 430-434.
- Ostermeir, G.C. Spermatogenesis and the effects of smoking. Gamete and embryo biology, An. Sci, Dairy Sci, and AHABS, 1998, 875.
- Esland Stephenic, Antioxidant. Honors BiologyResearch. (1997وBublic.iastate.edu.com.
- Korger, A,G; and Basel.. Ultra Structural effect of cigarette smoke on rat testis. Medline 2000.
- Fraga, CG.; Matehnik, P.A.; Myrobek.A.J.; Remped. O.M. Ames, B.N.,. Smoking and low antioxidant levels increase oxidative damages to sperm DNA. Mutat. Res, 351(2): 199-203,1996.
- London Kar, R.L.; Srinivasreddy, P, Somanathreddy, P. and Patil, S.B, Nicotine induced inhibition of the activities accessory reproductive ducts in male rats. J. Ethno phorma. 60:215-221,1998.
- Steinberger, E.; Ficher, M. and Smith, K.D. Relations of in vitro metabolism of steroids in human testicular tissue to histological and clinical finding. In human testis. E. Rosemberg and C. PAULSEN (Eds.) New York: Plenum: 439.
- Biswas, N.M. and patra P.BRole of Testosterone propionate in spermatogenesis following chronic nicotine administration in immature rats. Indian J. of experimental Biol. 19p: 604-606,1981.
- Al-Wachi, S.N.; Muhanad, F.A.; Faiza, A.; Mahmod and Zuheir, R.ZPossible togeesis and testicular activity of the mature male albino mice. J.Biol.Sci.Res.; 17(3): 185-195.(1986). .
- Khatun WA, Cytogenetic D. thesis. Laboratory. Department of Botany, University of Rajshahi.Rajshahi, 2004.
- Bruce, W.R.; Furrer, R.; Wyrobe, A.J., Abnormalities in the shape of murine sperm after acute testicular x- Irradeation. Mutat, Des. 23:381-386,1974.
- Ames, Effect of vitamin C in smokers fertility, Effect of smoking on vitamin (C) content in the body. Nutrition Health Review Issue, 62:4,1992.
- Palan, P.R.; Mikail, M.S.; Basu, J. DNA Rommey, S.V. Plasma levels of antioxidants beta-carotene and alpha tocopherol in uterine cerridyplasia and cancer.utr.And Cancer. (1991), 15(1): 13-23.
- Chinoy, N.J. AND Artix., Amelioration of fluoride toxicity by vitamin (E) and (D) in reproductive functions of male mice. Fluoride J(1998).., 31(4): 203-216.
- L, Chromosomal mutation cited by R.Sahia Advances in cytogenetics and their application in Livestock improvement and production, N.D.R.I.K. Kamal Indid, 35, 166. (cited by Al Asady, 1988).